Recipe for my mom’s marble cake in Hebrew so translation below. Made this for the borotweetup on Friday.
7 eggs separated
1 ½ cups of sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
¾ cup orange juice
1/6 cup oil
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp instant coffee
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
1. Beat the egg whites until stiff, add sugar, add yolks at medium speed
2. then add flour, baking powder, juice and oil
3. grease up a rectangular pan with oil (I use a large rectangular glass pyrex dish)
4. pour in 3/4 of the mixture
5. to the remaining 1/4 of the mixture in the bowl add the cocoa, coffee and vanilla sugar mix well
6. then add into the mixture already in the dish, use a fork to make the marble swirls.
7. Preheat the oven to 350/190. Bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick or fork can be inserted into the middle and come out clean.
My mom listed vanilla sugar twice when writing out the recipe, once in the first mixture and then again in the chocolate mixture. I have made it with it in both, in just one and without.
If you don’t leave enough batter in the bowl the chocolate becomes denser/heavier and may sink to the bottom so you have a layer of chocolate at the bottom.
If you’re baking powder is not fresh you may end up with a flatter cake.
It’s an easy cake to make and it will taste good no matter what you do to it.
The batter is yummy too if you end up with some left in the bowl * innocent whistle *
The addition to the borotweetup cake was chocolate buttercream frosting and m+ms.
The chocolate buttercream frosting recipe I use is from cooks.com.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1 cup powdered sugar
4 tbsp. cocoa
2 to 3 tbsp. milk
2. Combine sugar and cocoa.
3. Add sugar and cocoa mixture to butter
4. Add milk to and butter mixture.
If you wait until the cake cools to put the frosting on it comes out very much like frosting you buy in a store. If you are impatient like me, baking a cake at midnight, and not wanting to put the frosting in the fridge until morning….the frosting will melt over the cake and make a nice chocolate layer not quite like what you expected but tasting delicious nonetheless.